Before I end 2017, I would like to list down my favorite KDramas for this year. I have to admit my interest has waned but the first quarter offered interesting dramas which made me check out a few more over the last few months. Although some of them started at the last quarter of 2016, I have watched them entirely in 2017 so I would include them in this list.
This is in no particular order and I have picked out those I have enjoyed watching.
- Goblin – The cast reeled me in. It was beautifully done, the story intriguing. Looking back though, I am not very fond of the female lead and I actually enjoyed Sunny and Grim Reaper’s romance more.
- Weightlifting Fairy Kim Bok joo – I did not expect that I would like this so much that I re-watched my favorite scenes countless times. The romance developed naturally, the friendship was a delight to watch and the characters were so real you feel like you know them personally. I rejoiced when the leads dated in real life and I am still hoping that they will get back together soon.
- Legend of the Blue Sea – It’s Lee Min-ho and Jung Ji-hyun. I expected a lot but even if a lot of them were not met, the actors were enough to make me stay glued to my screen for all those 20 episodes.
- While You Were Sleeping- The first few episodes were solid enough to keep one watching. I got a little bored in the middle and picked up again towards the end. I have a love-hate relationship with LJS and Suzy but right now, I love them both.
- Black – I enjoyed the mystery and the mythology until they ruined it in the end. Like HIMYM, I would just pretend that the drama ended when the baddies were eliminated.
- The Liar and His Lover – I can’t help but compare it to the Japanese movie. I was annoyed at first because the lead guy was an a-hole in this drama but the growth of the characters made them endearing in the end.
- My Secret Romance- There were too many clichés, the actors were mediocre but the chemistry was good. It was a breezy, fun drama with the best kisses I’ve seen in KDramaland.
- Strong Woman Do Bong Soon – It was one laugh out loud adventure with a creepy villain and the cutest on screen couple. My favorite scene was the Bodyguard spoof while Whitney Houston was belting in the background.
- Chicago Typewriter – Go Kyung-pyo’s puppy dog eyes, Im Soo-jung’s crazy eyes, and Yoo Ah-in’s fierce eyes were unforgettable. The friendship between the three leads and the past story that bound them are the drama’s strong points more than the romance.
- Because This is My First Life- This is probably my top drama for 2017. It has that slice of life feel that is not boring. I loved the women even the marriage-crazy one. All the three couples are interesting. I saw Jung So-min in a new light and Lee Min-ki is really back.
Did I forget anything?
I hope I did not. I am currently watching Hwayugi because of Lee Seung-gi. Hopefully, there will be better dramas for 2018.